Sunday, October 31, 2010

DAY 7:the diet

Today is Day 7 and as of this morning I've lost 8.1lbs!!!!  I needed to loose 14.8lbs so I still have 6.72lbs to go...!!!!

I have my upper GI tomorrow at 8am.
So what is an upper GI?
Upper gastrointestinal tract radiography, also called an upper GI, is an x-ray examination of the pharynx, esophagus, stomach and first part of the small intestine (also known as the duodenum) that uses a special form of x-ray called fluoroscopy and an orally ingested contrast material called barium.
An x-ray (radiograph) is a noninvasive medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions. Imaging with x-rays involves exposing a part of the body to a small dose of ionizing radiation to produce pictures of the inside of the body. X-rays are the oldest and most frequently used form of medical imaging.
Fluoroscopy makes it possible to see internal organs in motion. When the upper GI tract is coated with barium, the radiologist is able to view and assess the anatomy and function of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum.
An x-ray examination that evaluates only the pharynx and esophagus is called a barium swallow.
In addition to drinking barium, some patients are also given baking-soda crystals (similar to Alka-Seltzer) to further improve the images. This procedure is called an air-contrast or double-contrast upper GI.
Reference website

So I don't get to eat after 7pm except only clear fluids (I'll eat dinner early tonight) and no fluids 3 hours before the surgery...which means I don't get to drink till after the "pictures" are taken.

My friend Kim is coming over today to do my before pictures and measurements these will not be shared unless I want to later, they are kinda scary. 

So lots of people are asking me if I'm excited, I am.  I'm more scared too.  I mean I've been waiting to do this for four years and I am kinda scared that it's here.  I'm planning a wedding and trying to really change my way of thinking and life in general! 

I went grocery shopping last night and picked up a couple of things for the week after surgery.  Some chicken stock, some jello mixes, pudding mixes and even Almond milk to give a try.  I'm drinking about 120oz of water a day which is AMAZING for me.  I have not had any type of caffeine in a week and I'm doing GREAT!  Sean (the Fiance) is a big help and he supports my choices and is pushing to change the whole families lives.  I'm trying to ensure that my kids eat good and stay healthy for as long as possible.  As for my room mate, I can't control that.  It will be up to her to make that choice.  I hope that she chooses to join in and become healthy too.  Maybe seeing me become healthy she will.

Alright guys...I'm off to drink water and clean house!

No comments:

Post a Comment